Today is the first day of the eTail West conference and the first session I attended was hosted by Ben Kirshner from Coffee For Less.
Ben is a good friend of mine and I was blown away by his session. Unlike most of the sessions at eCommerce conferences, Ben gave actionable advice so the audience could easily implement his suggestions.
Without further ado, here are the notes from Ben’s session:
CEO & Co-Founder
35 Paid Search Optimization Techniques
Make Sure To Segment:
1. Don’t Target Desktops, Mobile Devices, & Tablets In The Same Campaign – SEPARATE THEM!
2. Create Separate Campaigns for Broad & Exact Match Keywords.
Often times you will find exact match keywords perform better so you want to have the option to limit the money spent on broad match keywords and allocate as much as possible to exact match.
3. Use Google AdWords Segmenting Tool To Analyze Performance of Google Search vs. Search Partners.
4. If you opted into the Google Display Network, MAKE SURE IT’S ALSO IT’S OWN CAMPAIGN As Performance Will Vary From Search.
5. Conduct Day Of Week Analysis.
You might find that your ads perform better during certain days & times, so you will want to be more aggressive during those times. Conversely you may identify times in which your ads do not perform well at all and may want to consider turning them off during those times.
6. Conduct Time of Day Analysis.
7. Conduct Geographic Location Analysis.
Run Search Query Reports:
8. Find/Add BROAD Match Negative Keywords. -Keyword
9. Find/Add EXACT Match Negative Keywords. – [Keyword]
10. Find/Add PHRASE Match Negative Keywords. -“Keyword”
11. Look For Way To Expand Keywords Withing Existintg Ad Groups.
12. Look For New Ad Group Themes & Ideas.
Utilize Ad Extensions:
13. Implement Call Extensions
14. Implement Sitelinks
15. Add Product Extensions
Test New Features & Tools:
18. Test Broad Match Modifier For Branded Campaigns.
19. Try Bidding On Competitor Brand Names As Keywords.
20. Utilize Google AdWords Editor For Bulk Changes, Optimizations, And New Campaign Launches.
21. Add Typos Of Main, High-Traffic Terms Using A Typo Tool – http://tools.seobook.com/spelling/keywords-typos.cgi
Improve Remarketing Efforts:
22. Create Audience Of Visitors Who Have Already Converted And Exclude Them From Your Remarketing Audience.
23. Set Impression Cap To Avoid Over-saturating Your Audience.
24. Further Segment Existing Audience.
Enhance Ad Copy:
25. A/B Test Ad Copy.
26. Include Keyword In Display URL.
27. Ensure All Ads Are Using Call To Action Phrases.
28. Use Trademark Symbols To Estabilish Credibility On Branded Terms.
29. Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word.
30. Use Exclamation Points!
31. Create Custom Landing Pages For High-Traffic Terms.
32. Advertise Price In Ad Text.
Optimize Google Display Network:
33. Run Placement Performance Reports.
To identify and exclude your ads from showing on poor-performing and irrelevant sites in the Google Display Network.
34. Add Negative Keywords To Display Campaigns.
Only worry about this if you notice Google showing your ads on groups of irrelevant sites with the same theme.
35. Ad Groups Should Be Granular And Contain No More Than 6-8 Keywords Each.