Retail Search Recap 9/17/2014
Leading, Reliable, and Updated News on Retail, Digital Marketing, Tech and Ecommerce
This week, the IPO of Alibaba is expected to set new records and investors are eagerly looking to the booming Asian marketplace for returns. Currently, Chinese consumers spend billions online with companies like Alibaba and Baidu. Last year, Alibaba hosted a Cyber Monday sale in which consumers spent $5.7 billion in 24 hours.
- Wall Street Journal: Alibaba Targets $155 Billion Value in IPO
- Forbes: The Internal Economics of Amazon’s No Profit Growth Model
Digital Marketing News
While big business has full teams dedicated to digital marketing, building a solid foundation for small and medium sized businesses is critical for long-term online success. The article above explains five commonly used strategies to get started.
- TechCrunch: Hootsuite Buys Brightkit For Gamefied Social Marketing Campaigns, Passes 10M Users
- Moz Blog: “But How Do I Know if It’s Good?” How You Can Evaluate Content Quality (and Ditch Content Anxiety)
Following the reveal of the iPhone 6 Apple has laid the groundwork to drive consumers toward mobile payments with their mobile wallet. Akin to existing mobile payments solutions such as Google’s, Apple is focusing on universal compatibility and a simplified user experience.
- PC Mag: Netflix Testing Shorter Show Clips for Mobile Users
- C|Net: You Need to Know About NFC and Mobile Payments. Here’s Why.
With the growing integration of Google Wallet, Google has streamlined in-app purchases for app develops and consumers alike. However, the FTC has ruled it was a too easy for children to make unauthorized purchases through their parents’ account. Following Amazon earlier this year, Google has become the second major company fined for how it handles in-app purchases for kids.
- C|Net: Google Tests Password Generator in Chrome Browser
- Venture Beat: Google Reminds Us Not to Forget Android Wear Ahead of Rumored iWatch Reveal