Last week I had the good fortune of attending an SEM SD meetup at CPC Strategy with Ross Hudgens of Siege Media, a content promotion, development, and maintenance agency.
Ross spoke about SEO and its changes in the ecommerce and retail search sphere. Below are the major SEO tips from Ross’s presentation.
SEO Lessons from Ross Hudgens
Here are some SEO lessons from Ross Hudgens.
1. Start with Realistic Goals
Before you start plugging away at SEO and working on ranking on search, you need to decide where you want to go and more importantly if its realistic (can you afford it?) to get there.
- Calculate your cost per link (CPL), and CPA
- Focus on data and ROI as your starting point
- Understand SEO is a holistic process that involves content
- Determine domain authority for competitors with SEOmoz’s SEO toolbar
- Analyze links and referral domanins with Majesticseo
- Have multiple KPIs for metrics such as links, views,etc
- Use SEM Rush’s site audit toolto determine CPC traffic on the web
2. Utilize Content & Social
If you want to have some SEO impact, you should be sharing socially and highlighting relevant content for users.
- Utilize a social share button
- Share on social, and structure tweets correctly
- Title, URL, @companyname
- Tweet early for people on the East Coast
- Have a newsletter opt-in on your blog or .com
3. Get More Links
“Yes link still matter, you just have to get them the right way” -Ross Hudgens
Linking and SEO have been under much debate within the last year with Google’s algorithm and search evolution. Ross encourages marketers to get links with the backbone of content.
- Use images to visualize data such as inforgraphics
- Highlight statistics
- Use resources like HERO
- Use internal linking to relevant resources and landing pages
- Reach out to places where you are being linked externally to link to landing pages
3 Ways to get ROI from SEO
- Use numbers and data as your major focus
- Constantly work to improve processes
- Integrate SEO as part of your entire marketing strategy
How do you get more site traffic?