Google released a 2014 holiday shopping behavior study this week, highlighting consumer actions centered around cross-device and proactive holiday shopping. Google’s Holiday study noted that this year, “people are shopping earlier, using online video to help with research, and turning to smartphones as personal shopping assistants”.
Below are the major take-away’s of Google’s study, along with actionable take-away’s for retailers.
Chrismas Kreep is a trend Consumerist has been noting for some time, and continues to expand every year, with Christmas trees next to patio furniture, and more and more holiday shopping happening before Halloween. Online shoppers research early, and follow the sales which online retailers start Black Friday promotions during the fall and before Q4.
- More than half of consumers start their holiday research before Thanksgiving
- 26% of shoppers start holiday shopping before Halloween
More Holiday Devices
With more devices, the ability to showroom (view an item in store and purchase online) and reverse showroom (review an item online and purchase in store) is a given for today’s shopper- checking prices, and availability on the web, in store and on their phones. Google notes “Shoppers are also spending more time consulting more sources before making a decision. ”
- Since 2010, shoppers have more than doubled the number of places they comparison shop before a purchase, looking at least 12 sources to shop for the 2013 holiday
Retailers not only need to have holiday sales and inventory ready earlier, they need to provide relevant information, promotion, and content for consumers to comparison shop items prior to the holiday season.
Below is a good map of days to get prepared for this holiday season based on 2013 holiday shopping trends:
Sell More on Google This Q4
To optimize sales on Google this holiday, consider expanding your Google PPC strategy across devices, and optimizing content and inventory now. Below are some helpful tools to increase sales on Google this Q4.
- 3 Google Shopping Campaign Levers For More Q4 Sales
- Amplify Q4 Sales for Amazon & AdWords
- 3 Ways to Improve your Brand on Google for Q4
- 7 AdWords Reports to Improve Q4 Sales on Google
- How to Predict Which Q4 Google Products Will Sell, and Then Sell More of Them
- Q4 Prep: 14 Holiday Shipping & Sales Tips
- Top 5 Q4 Holiday Fulfillment Mistakes