YouTube Shopping Ads Out of Beta & Now Live
This week, both of YouTube’s Shopping ad formats including “TrueView for Shopping” and “Shopping Ads on YouTube” are now out of beta and available to all advertisers in AdWords.
To be clear, the announcement is referencing two separate programs.
“This has been a bit confusing as these two programs haven’t been clearly delineated and are rolling out about the same time,” Josh Brisco, Senior Retail Search Manager at CPC Strategy said.
Essentially the main difference between the two programs is:
TrueView allows retailers to advertise PLA ads on their own YouTube videos. This requires a separate campaign setup.
Shopping Ads on YouTube allows retailers to advertise their PLA ads on other YouTube videos. (Note: If you are already a Google Search Partner – this is auto enabled)
TrueView for Shopping
TrueView for Shopping campaigns create interactive video ads that highlight the value of products.
According to Google, “TrueView video ads have actionable shopping cards embedded in them which provide an easy bridge to purchase for viewers. They are also a powerful audience solution, enabling you to remarket to viewers who may have visited your site or viewed your other videos.”
4 Facts about TrueView for Shopping
- TrueView for Shopping was introduced in May 2015
- The Program allows retailers to display Shopping ads for their own products in their own videos only.
- These ads can be targeted however you want and the data will be seen in the actual YouTube campaign itself.
- Related products will be pulled dynamically from the Google Merchant Center product feed.
Shopping Ads on YouTube
Shopping ads on YouTube work even lower in the funnel than True View ads, by enabling shopping cards on creator videos that feature your products. According to Google, this is a great way to capture demand when viewers are most interested in exploring and researching products. These also allow retailers to extend the reach of your Shopping campaigns beyond www.google.com.
Retailers can enter their AdWords Shopping campaigns into Search Partners through the campaign settings tab. Shopping ads will be displayed in “cards” along the right side of videos on desktop and tablets and below videos on smartphones.
4 Facts about Shopping Ads on YouTube
- Google Shopping ads on Youtube announced the expansion of their Shopping Ads beyond retailer’s own videos in October 2015.
- YouTube will now show Shopping ads on organically viewed videos, from Shopping campaigns opted into the partner network regardless of who’s video it is. These placements can occur on any video Google decides, regardless if it is the retailers video or not.
- Placement information can be found via the Shopping campaign’s partner network data.
- These are limited to product-specific non-paid video views, where Google can attribute exact or very similar products by which to serve ads.
Additional YouTube for Shopping Ads Resources