As your business scales and your product catalog grows, leveraging the right Product Information Management (PIM) software can be critical for saving time and avoiding product micromanagement.
We live in an omnichannel world. Today’s consumers browse and shop across channels and marketplaces. For retailers, selling across multiple channels and marketplaces requires product information management systems to reliably store, upload, and manage products across feeds.
In this article, we’ll cover what PIM software is, why product information management is so important, and 10 of the best PIM tools to choose from for your business.
What is product information management (PIM)?
Product information management is the process of managing all of the data required to market and sell your products through different channels and marketplaces.
What is PIM software?
PIM software is information management software that stores and manages a business’s product information across multiple channels from a unified dashboard. PIM tools let you upload, edit, and distribute SKU-level data across all of your ecommerce channels.
By syncing your product data across platforms, PIM systems can also boost your overall data quality and product information accuracy. These feed management systems help you better manage that information and stay organized, no matter how many SKUs you have or channels you sell through.
Examples of the data stored and synchronized through PIM software include:
- Core product data (Product name, title, description)
- Product attributes (SKU, cost, pricing)
- Product specifications (e.g., dimensions, warranty and packaging info, etc.)
- Product-related metrics
- Product listing copy, assets, and media
- Supplier information
- Multi-language content
- Channel-specific information (Amazon, Shopify, etc.)
- Store-specific information (POS registers, product catalogs)
PIM solutions act as the hub of product information, pushing the data listed out to different sales channels.
The 10 best PIM software solutions
According to Ventana Research, by 2021, 50 percent of organizations will use a “modern dedicated PIM environment to manage product processes and provide high-quality product experiences.”
With that in mind, how do you choose the right PIM tool for your business?
The right PIM solution for your business depends on your company’s size, goals, and budget. Here are 10 of the top PIM software to choose from. (Note: Not ranked in order of preference.)
An enterprise-level solution, Akeneo is designed to “power your omnichannel and cross-border commerce initiatives.” The platform is set up to handle large quantities of product information, like tens or hundreds of thousands of SKUs and hundreds of product attributes.
Pricing: Akeneo offers two editions: Community and Enterprise. The Community Edition is a free open source PIM. The Enterprise Edition requires an annual subscription to purchase a license. You have to reach out directly to the Akeneo team for a pricing quote.
- Centralize all product information in one place
- Distribute product data across multiple channels
- Rule and validation workflow creation for supplier data
Who it’s for: Between the Community and Enterprise editions, Akeneo has something for almost everyone looking for a PIM solution.
Salsify is a cloud-based PIM software platform that gives everyone across your organization access to the same real-time data from anywhere in the world. Salsify integrates easily with all major ERP, DAM, and ecommerce platforms.
Pricing: Salsify does not provide public pricing information. You’ll need to reach out to the Salsify team for a custom quote.
- Real-time collaboration allows you to see when teammates update product data
- Unlimited users, workflows, channels, and storage
- Support for multiple languages
- One-click reminders to request product data or images from your suppliers or teammates
- Scalable platform
Who it’s for: Salsify is ideal for retailers who have many cooks in the kitchen. Its flexible permissions, collaborative tools, and audit history capabilities make it perfect for big teams with ever-changing product data.
Riversand’s data management tools make up-to-date product information available for all types of retail businesses, from sales and merchandising to accounting, IT, and more. The enterprise software solution manages workflows from the initial product creation through marketing and final sale.
Pricing: Riversand does not provide public pricing information. To request a quote, you’ll need to reach out directly to their sales team.
- Multi-region coverage supporting multiple languages, currencies, and classifications are simple
- Support for e-catalogs and print media
- Automated workflows and business processes
Who it’s for: Riversand is designed with enterprise-level brands in mind. That said, any size retailer with the budget and need for a robust data management platform can benefit from using Riversand.
Plytix is an all-in-one PIM system for omnichannel marketing. They offer digital asset management (DAM), product data syndication, brand portals, product sheets, and analytics.
Pricing: Plytix offers a free plan for up to 10GB of file storage and 1,000 SKUs. Their Pro plan, which includes API access, a dedicated account manager, and other advanced features, costs $830/month.
- Direct and bulk editing of product data
- Import and export functions
- Unlimited custom attributes
- Product feed creation (XML, CSV, XLSX)
Who it’s for: The free version of Plytix is an excellent option for small businesses that are new to product information management, while their Pro plan provides ample features for mid-size businesses and larger.
5. inRiver PIM
inRiver’s PIM allows you to push product information to virtually any channel, including ecommerce sites, catalogs, mobile devices, in-store PoS systems, and more.
Pricing: inRiver PIM does not provide public pricing information. You’ll need to reach out to inRiver directly for pricing.
- Extensions for Magento-based stores
- Supplier onboarding tools to improve information quality and reduce errors
- Enhanced search capabilities and query building
- Planner app for future campaigns, promotions, and product launches
Who it’s for: inRiver is designed for both B2B and B2C retailers. It’s ideal for any business with lots of product data across multiple channels, specifically those with a lot of online consumer participation.
Pimcore is an open-source, consolidated, enterprise digital platform made up of Product Information Management (PIM), Master Data Management (MDM), Digital Asset Management (DAM), and ecommerce tools.
Pricing: Pimcore is available for free as an open-source Community edition, as well as through an Enterprise Subscription. For information on Enterprise Subscription pricing, you’ll need to reach out to Pimcore directly.
- Highly scalable
- Connectivity with enterprise systems such as CRMs, ERPs, ESBs, BIs, or 3rd party applications.
- User-specific dashboards
- Built-in style editors, snippets, widgets, and responsive design
- Google Webmasters and Analytics integrations
Who it’s for: Pimcore is a good fit for agencies, software integrators, and enterprises looking to manage or consolidate their product information, digital assets, and master data to improve customer experience.
Catsy’s PIM system allows brands to centralize all product content in one location. Catsy streamlines the process of sharing content with online retailers, marketplaces, sales reps, ecommerce sites, and print documents.
Pricing: Catsy does not provide public pricing information. You’ll need to reach out to Catsy directly for a pricing quote.
- Centralized product content hub
- Ability to link product information and digital assets
- Easily create, import, and share retailer- and distributor-ready content
Who it’s for: Catsy is built specifically for small- to mid-sized manufacturers.
8. Agility Multichannel
Agility Multichannel is a PIM software solution that offers dynamic workflows, streamlined processes, and enriched content. Its built-in integration tools make the info-gathering and importing process simple.
Pricing: Agility Multichannel does not provide public pricing information. You’ll need to reach out to Agility directly for pricing.
- Contextual views let you customize and adapt data to each specific channel
- Integrates easily with existing ecommerce platforms
- Workflow and process automation
- Real-time financial and performance analytics
Who it’s for: Agility is a good fit for both B2C and B2B retailers looking for a customizable data management solution. Retailers who need a lot of visibility on performance and financial data would also benefit from Agility.
9. Syndigo Content Experience Hub
Syndigo’s Content Experience Hub is an end-to-end solution to create, manage, syndicate, and optimize product content across channels, allowing retailers, distributors, and manufacturers to access all of their product data and digital assets from one single location.
Pricing: Syndigo does not provide public pricing information. Reach out to Syndigo directly for a pricing quote.
- On the Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) network and GS1-certified
- Support for industry-specific data, such as deep nutrition information and automotive requirements
- Transparent price synchronization
- Enhanced product content and rich media
Who it’s for: While retailers and manufacturers across industries can use Syndigo, the PIM system is an especially good fit for businesses in highly-regulated or specialized areas, such as food service, automotive, and healthcare.
10. Informatica MDM Product 360
Informatica’s master data management (MDM) platform offers a comprehensive, holistic hub of information taken from across a retailer’s channels and platforms.
- Configurable task- and role-based user interfaces
- Integrated with major systems including HCL Commerce, Oracle ATG Web Commerce, Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Google, Amazon, Intershop Commerce Suite, and more
- Self-service portal for supplier onboarding
- Digital asset management with fully-automated data processing capabilities
Who it’s for: Informatica is best for B2C retailers who want to improve their product data accuracy and simplify their supplier onboarding process.